On Saturday 28 January 2012 four Sliabh Beagh swimmers attended the Derry Masters Gala which was held in the William Street Pool. This gala had a big entry of swimmers from across Ulster and also a good number from several Dublin clubs, Mayo, Limerick and Kildare. A feature of these galas now is the welcome soght of people who are not Irish born but who are now working in Ireland and representing Irish clubs at these galas.
The following were our results;
- Peter O’Hara first overall 50m Butterfly in 29.69. Peter was also first in his age group in 100 Freestyle and 5th overall in a time of 1.02.99.
- Paul McDonald his first ever 200m Freestyle was in a time of 3.11.89 and he improved his previous 100m Freestyle time to 1.20.78.
- Patrick McKenna was first overall in 100m Freestyle in a time of 55.30 and was second overall in the 200m Freestyle in a time of 2.03.16
- James O’Hara was first in his age group in 50 Breaststroke in a time of 38.31 and ninth overall. He did 1.08.44 in the 100 Freestyle.
- The 4 x 50 Medley Relay team were second overall in a time of 2.15.26.
All the men were happy with their performances, but like the majority of those attending the gala, they were unhappy with the lack of markings on the pool floor and the slipperiness of the pool end walls, which caused numerous problems for all competitors pool floor. Nevertheless the day was good and some old friends were reacquainted with for a while.