In participating in Aquasprint galas we hope to give swimmers the opportunity to be part of a team and take part in healthy competition. To enable this to happen takes a lot of organisation by Club officials, the participation of swimmers and the commitment of their parents/guardians.
- The Aquasprints Team is for children aged 7 to 11 years.
- The Swimmers for each gala will be selected a week in advance of the gala.
- The list of names will be displayed on the noticeboard for all parents and swimmers.
- Parents should only sign the sheet if their child/children are able to attend the particular gala. NAMES ARE NOT TO BE ADDED TO THE LIST.
- If a Swimmer is not able to compete in a specific gala we would ask for the Coach to be informed as soon as possible to enable a replacement swimmer to be chosen.
- There are various races: two relays (medley and freestyle) and four individual strokes for each age group.
- Galas last about an hour and a half.
- Medley Relay (Backstroke, breast stroke, butterfly, freestyle) – two boys and two girls from each age group (4 Races)
- Backstroke Girls and Boys (8 races)
- Breaststroke Girls and Boys (8 races)
- Butterfly Girls and Boys (8 races)
- Freestyle (front crawl) Girls and Boys (8 races)
- Freestyle Relay two boys and two girls from each age group (4 races).
Team members need to bring all the usual equipment: trunks/swimsuit; goggles; towel.
Other useful items to bring:
- Spare towel
- Change for locker which varies depending on the leisure centre (10p – £1)
- Club Polo Shirt to wear between races to keep warm
Half of galas are held at other venues, coach transport is provided by the club:
Coaches have seatbelts, which must be worn
Cost of the coach is €10 for each swimmer travelling
Children are counted at the beginning of each journey to ensure all are present. Please let an official know if your child is not travelling by coach.
PARENTAL ASSISTANCE AT GALAS:
Support from parents is essential at galas to assist with various duties:
- Timekeepers (six)
- Officicals to Organise swimmers prior to each race
- Starter and finishing judge
- Official to record times and keep score
We also need supporters to cheer on all swimmers taking part in the galas.
After galas the home team provide a supper for all participants and supporters, so we ask for parents to provide sandwiches, buns etc….